Saturday, July 30, 2011

One Month


"Your life will never be the same." This was the one piece of advice we heard over and over again from different people in the last few weeks before the arrival of the newest addition to our family. We have found this to be very true especially since our conversations now revolve around Eli's sleeping and eating patterns instead of the usual discussions of our previous uneventful days. My body has also been reprogrammed now to wake up as the sun comes up to get a head start on the day before Elijah wakes up and is ready to be fed. It is a good thing I attempted to stock up on my sleep during the last few weeks of pregnancy.

Our lives have definitely changed, but the birth of our son has given our lives a whole new meaning and purpose now. Parenting is the greatest responsibility and also the greatest privilege to be able to experience. To help prepare myself for this brand new journey, I have been reading a lot of books, magazines, and websites. I have found, though, that even armed with this knowledge nothing can truly prepare you for motherhood until that baby is placed in your arms for the first time. The best teacher is sometimes life experience itself. I have found myself sometimes relying more on my own instincts rather than what I had previously read about.

Now on to the update...As for Elijah's feeding patterns, he will let us know it is time for him to eat, and you can tell by his cry he means business! He will take 3 ounces of formula at room temperature every 2-1/2 to 3 hours during the day and every 3 to 4 hours at night. When he burps, it is sometimes quiet and subtle and hard to distinguish from some of the other noises he makes. On the other hand, it will resemble a clearly distinct almost manly burp at other times! Just as his pediatrician had said he would do, he has started to group his feedings closer together later in the day to prepare for eating less often at night, so hopefully a full night of uninterrupted sleep is getting closer to reality.

Elijah's sleeping patterns are starting to become a little more predictable and consistent. He still sleeps much more on some days than others, though. Usually during the day his naps range from 2-1/2 to 3 hours while at night he will sleep for a 3 or 4-hour stretch at a time, with the longest being 5 hours which has become more common now. He is able to fall asleep on his own in his crib when he is laid down while he is still drowsy but not completely asleep. He has also been much better about going right back to sleep after the nighttime feedings.

Among Eli's favorites are car rides and stroller rides. These rides are sure to either put him to sleep or at least keep him content. He also enjoys spending time in his bouncer. He seems to enjoy taking in the sights and sounds of the outdoors when I carry him in the sling on our daily walk to the post office. Eli also seems mesmerized by the ceiling fan and other objects on the wall. He enjoys books being read to him and even seems to try to focus on the pictures in the Baby Faces book. He loves to be rocked and talked to and seems to like listening to both his lullaby and bible song CDs.

Elijah is learning to like his bath time. In fact, when I gave him a bath the night of his one month birthday, it was the first time he did not cry at all until he was taken out of the tub at the end. He must have been waiting until he was a month old to enjoy his bath time. He is also learning to like his swing more but only for limited amounts of time.

There have been a couple of milestones throughout this first month. Eli's strong neck has allowed him to be able to lift his head during tummy time. He is also able to roll from his back to his side. We are now awaiting the real smiles; he usually smiles as he is drifting off to sleep or as he is waking up. There have been a couple times he smiled when he was awake and alert, but it hasn't happened that often just yet.

Elijah has a good temperament and is usually a content baby. Most of the time when he cries it is because he is hungry. We have been blessed with a pretty easygoing personality for our firstborn.


Dear Eli,

Thank you for allowing me to experience the greatest moment of my life one month ago by giving birth to you, a beautiful healthy baby boy. I have had a lot of great experiences in my life, but nothing compared to that moment when I first held you in my arms and heard your first cry.

After nine long and seemingly endless months of waiting, I now have the chance to cuddle you in my arms. I love when your long slender fingers grasp mine as I'm feeding you. I also love your fresh clean scent after your bath. When your eyes look up at me, they are filled with wonder, awe, and innocence.

You have helped me learn the true meaning of unconditional love and patience. My love for you grows more and more every day. You have been transforming from a sweet newborn into a little man with each passing day. I am looking forward to all the milestones and memories still to come.

Love,
Mom

3 comments:

  1. That's such a sweet letter to Elijah! I'm just getting caught up on your blog, I'll have to add you to my g-reader so I don't miss any more updates. It was so great seeing you guys this past weekend, I was so happy to get to meet Elijah! He really is a cutie :) Remember, in a few months we're going to plan a girls night out, we deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Elijah,

    Where do I begin to tell you how you are truly the most ADORABLE, LOVEABLE, MIARCULOUS little bundle of joy?!!! I’m sure by the numerous visitors, gifts, messages, and your Aunt Jamie always asking for updates, you can tell you are the most loved little baby boy our family can’t possibly get enough of!

    I thoroughly enjoyed being able to watch you yesterday while Mom was typing away.:) I couldn’t stop just looking at you and wondering…how did your Mom make it through a 17 hour labor and be the best (and most organized) Mom a boy could ask for?! ☺ You are truly blessed again to have the greatest parents, which are definitely reflected by how content of a baby you are!

    I’m sorry I’m probably using words that are not quite in your vocabulary yet but when you get older you’ll understand. ☺

    I cannot wait to see you again next week and I’m sure you’ll have gotten even bigger. (Hopefully your Mom doesn’t give you another crazy hair-do! ☺)

    Thank you again Elijah for being the greatest joy and best thing to look forward to in my life the past month and in all the years to come!

    Love you VERY much!! ☺

    XOXO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just catching up on your blog - Happy Belated Birthday to Elijah! He's looking a LOT like his mom when she was a baby - SOOOOOO cute!

    ReplyDelete