Saturday, April 29, 2017

Seasons of Life

When I was first posed the question, "What season of life are you in?" I was attending a mini teacher retreat during one of my first few years of teaching.  My answer then was spring - I saw myself as a budding young teacher just beginning to branch out into the teaching profession/vocation where I was transforming my childhood dream into reality.  I was also establishing roots in a new community.  

Just as we experience different seasons throughout our life figuratively, motherhood comes with a change of seasons and stages as well.  I would now reply to that same question by stating I feel I am in a season of summer or a high point in my life where we are flourishing.  We are settled now into our marriage.  We will celebrate our 8-year anniversary this September.  We know now what makes each other tick.  The honeymoon/newlywed spring season has transformed into this new stage whereby we have grown as a newly married couple to parents.  

Just as our personalities of husband and wife complement each other, I feel our parenting styles are complementary as well.  While I would consider myself to be the stricter, more structured and orderly parent who enjoys likewise more structured activities and enjoying time together with a purpose like reading or doing projects, I see Ian as more of the free spirited, affectionate, playful, and more spontaneous parent, more willing to engage in free play.  I think our kids benefit from the balance of both styles.  

We have survived the newborn/baby stage together x2; now I feel we can not only survive but thrive and enjoy this next stage in life with the growing independence of our kids.  Eli is now school age and integrating into society while learning about the "real world."  Lia is a toddler who loves to explore and has adjusted to full-time daycare.  Ian and I both find ourselves in careers we love; we love the freedom and flexibility of our self-employed status, Ian now working more full time with his dad farming (which I can see Eli following in his footsteps) along with still working in sales for CPS and I am still considered an independent contractor for the same transcription company, able to determine my own hours while working from home.  

Just as seasons come and go, so too do the stages of motherhood and there is no one else I'd rather share in the changing of the seasons with than my own little family:)

What season of life are you in?

No comments:

Post a Comment